The Baltimore County Department of Aging (BCDA) is proud of the creative talent present in the older adult population and always strives to find ways to highlight it. This year, BCDA would like to challenge all entrants age 50 and over to produce, either in word or artwork, their interpretation of our theme “Cultivating a Brighter Tomorrow.”
All works must be original, created in 2022 and unpublished. Submissions will be judged on creativity, connection to the theme and overall appeal. Professional judges will determine the best in each category and the attendees will select a popular vote winner.
Exhibition, Reception and Awards Presentation
The top finalists in all art and writing categories will be on display in the South Hall of the Expo from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday, October 27.
The top three winners in each writing category will be published in the "Time of Your Life Digest."
All entrants are welcome to join us for the awards presentation on Wednesday, October 28.
How to Submit Your Entry
Entries must be emailed to email@example.com by August 19, by 11:59 p.m. Note either “art” or “writing” contest in the subject line. Do not place name on submissions. Please include the following information on a separate cover page or in the body of your email:
- Title of piece
- senior center affiliation (if applicable)
- Age (must be 50 or older)
If you need assistance submitting your entry electronically, visit your local Senior Center or call 410-887-2002.
Guidelines For Writers
Must submit single-spaced, typed manuscript using size 14 Times Roman font. No PDF submissions, Microsoft Word documents only.
- Informal Essays—Limit of three entries per person. Each essay must be 1,000 words or less.
- Poetry—No limit on entries but total word count of all poems must be 500 words or less. May be free form.
Guidelines For Artists
- Only photos of artwork must be submitted for entry. JPGs with 3,000 pixels on the longest side and a maximum of 2MB. No zipped or web-based files accepted. Limited to two total via digital image.
- As an entrant, you are verifying that you are willing to display your art at the Power of Age Expo on Wednesday, October 28, if chosen as a finalist.
- Artwork will need to be dropped off either on Monday, October 24, or Tuesday, October 25, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Artwork can be picked up after the awards ceremony on Thursday, October 27, or on Friday, October 28, between 9 a.m. and noon from the Fairgrounds.
- Size limitations of two feet by two feet on all entries unless otherwise noted below.
- All photography, paintings and drawings must be matted, no picture frames or glass accepted.
- Drawing— Graphite/Pastels
- Fabric Arts— Quilting/Sewing/Crochet/Knit/Loom
- Hand Crafts— Carving/Jewelry/Sculpture/Stained Glass
- Painting— Oils/Acrylics
- Painting— Watercolor
- Photography— Color/Black and White
- Open Pet or Animal Category— Any type of art that has an animal theme or purpose.
Be sure to stop by the RSVP Volunteer Fair, located in the South Hall. This will be your opportunity to meet with nonprofit and government entities seeking motivated volunteers to join their teams. Learn about the ways you can transport lifesaving donations of blood, deliver food and other goods to food insecure seniors, share the comfort of your pet with those who are lonely and more!
RSVP, more formally known as the Retired & Senior Volunteer Program, is one of the nation’s largest volunteer networks that links individuals ages 55 and over with meaningful opportunities to serve. RSVP volunteers invest in strengthening their communities, while also forging new relationships and feeling a sense of personal satisfaction. Volunteers have the flexibility of choosing where, when and how they want to serve.
Making a difference and building a brighter tomorrow starts with you! Let RSVP connect you with a fulfilling volunteer experience today! Stop by the volunteer fair to meet with RSVP agency partners in Baltimore County. For more information, call 410-887-3101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Red Cross
- Baltimore County Department of Aging Home Team Program
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC) (Noon to 3 p.m. only)
- Pets on Wheels (Noon to 3 p.m. only)